The aim is to do as many detailed drawings as possible, as often as possible, to fill up my sketchbook by the end of the year.
54 years ago today, Zambia gained independence from Britain – A costly victory as many lost their lives in the pursuit of freedom for fellow countrymen and women.
For today’s drawing challenge, I’ve chosen a symbolic sketch from the capital city, Lusaka. It is of the “Independence Banner” as you enter the city from the airport road.
The colours of the flag signify the following:
- Green – The beautiful green landscape across the country
- Orange – Mineral wealth (mainly copper)
- Black – Majority of the population
- Red – The blood shed in the fight for independence
- The Eagle – We can sore above our differences (incl tribalism) and be, as first president Kenneth Kaunda called it – “One Zambia, One Nation!”